HOLLYWOOD CASINO COLUMBUS | Site Remediation and Development | Columbus, OH
Located at 200 Georgesville Road in Columbus, Ohio, the new Hollywood Casino Columbus at the former Delphi Automotive Plant site is significant not only for its legacy as a closed automotive facility but also for its status as the single largest economy-altering project businesses and residents in the Westland area have seen in decades.
Working as a strategic redevelopment team with Duke Realty Corporation and Hemisphere Development on behalf of CD Gaming Ventures, Inc. and Penn National Gaming, Inc., Hull was responsible for overseeing all demolition and remediation aspects of the project. This redevelopment resulted in the construction of 300,000 square feet of casino gaming space and structured parking, the creation of 2,000 new permanent jobs, and the generation of approximately $16.2 million in tax revenue for Franklin County and approximately $22.9 million in tax revenue for Franklin County school districts.
CD Gaming acquired the property in February 2010. The property was previously owned by General Motors Corporation, dating back to 1945 when the automotive parts manufacturing facility was first constructed. In 1999, the ownership of the property had changed to Delphi Automotive Systems, LLC as part of its separation from General Motors Corporation.
As part of its manufacturing process, Delphi operated various machinery, presses, paint booths, grinders and other equipment related to the production of automotive parts. Significant expansions occurred on the main manufacturing building during 1950 and again in 1956. Other structures on the property, including the power house, primary switch house, pallet shed, wastewater treatment building, control buildings and various guard houses, were all constructed between 1945 and 1965 and required substantial asbestos abatement prior to demolition. Delphi ceased manufacturing operations at the property in December 2007 and the plant remained closed since that time.
Working within a quick, 12-month time-frame to deliver the site for pre-development, the demolition of more than 1.4 million square feet of derelict and abandoned structures on the former Delphi property as well as significant environmental remediation activities to address contamination from its previous heavy industrial use were completed in late 2010. Contaminated soil was remediated using several green technologies and/or removed to meet applicable risk-based cleanup standards for commercial/industrial land use in accordance with the Ohio EPA's Voluntary Action Program (VAP). Overall, more than 98 percent of the materials from demolition were recycled, including crushed concrete and asphalt which were reused as a base for new roads on-site.
Penn National initiated construction of the new casino in April 2011 and opened the facility for business in October 2012.