Hull is now a "GreenSpot," a business committed to building a healthier, cleaner, and more sustainable future. We have pledged to inform and engage our employees; to reduce, reuse, and recycle when possible; to conserve water and energy; to streamline transportation; and to inspire others to take steps toward a greener future.
The following are Hull's GreenSpot commitments, many of which are already complete. At Hull we take our responsibility to steward the environment seriously, striving to cultivate a culture that is healthy, safe, and green.
REDUCING, REUSING, & RECYCLING:
- We will perform a waste audit of our business and track our monthly waste.
We will reduce our paper use by:
- Encouraging employees to communicate electronically instead of on paper whenever practical.
- Posting staff memos and schedules in a central place instead of making copies for every employee.
- Encouraging employees to print double-sided, avoid making unnecessary copies, and reusing paper for scrap paper whenever possible.
- Not using a separate cover sheet for faxes.
- Removing our name from junk mail lists.
- Keeping our customer mailing lists current, without duplications.
- We will establish a building-wide recycling program that includes - at a minimum - glass, aluminum, plastic bottles and paper, and make recycling bins convenient for employees.
- When possible we will buy promotional gifts that are made with recycled materials, and tell our suppliers that we prefer recycled/recyclable materials.
- We will provide reusable dishware when practicable.
- We will buy supplies in bulk to minimize packaging waste, and whenever possible we will buy supplies with environmentally friendly qualities, like recycled-content non-chlorine-bleached paper towels and organic cleaning supplies.
- We will donate unwanted furniture, supplies, scrap materials, phones, etc.
- We will perform a water audit to check for leaks.
- We will provide our employees with conservation tips for the office and their homes.
- We will use utilize car washing facilities that recycle the water, and encourage our employees to do the same.
- We will perform an energy audit, or use EnergyStars Portfolio to track our energy use.
- We will convert to energy-efficient light bulbs, such as compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) and/or upgrade existing fluorescent tube lighting with T-8 or T-5 lamps with electronic ballasts. We will begin with 10% of our lights and commit to changing the rest in the following two years.
- We will implement a facility-wide policy of turning off equipment and lights when not in use.
- We will ask our landlord to perform regular maintenance on our HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) and refrigeration systems.
- When replacing equipment and appliances, we will ensure they are EnergyStar rated and/or equipped with energy-saving features.
- We will maintain or install a bike rack in our facility, or provide employees with another secure location to store bikes. If we reimburse employees for driving, we will also reimburse them for biking.
- We will encourage employees to walk or bike to meetings, lunch, etc.
- We will provide green driving tips and information on ridesharing on an employee website, bulletin board or in newsletters.
- We will encourage teleconferences, video conferences and web-meetings.